With the state of the world and the country as it currently stands, the Fellowship would like to issue a statement in support of Black Lives Matter. We are with you; we are listening.
For those who find themselves uncomfortable by the events currently happening, we urge you to educate yourself on the systemic racism in this country:
- How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
- White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad
More book recommendations can be found here.
If you are interested in buying these books locally, consider the following Black-owned bookstores:
- Charnice Milton Community Bookstore at Busboys and Poets in Anacostia
- Loyalty Bookstore in Petworth
- MahoganyBooks in Anacostia
- Walls of Books in Park View
Additionally, Old Town Books (Alexandria, VA) and Charm City Books (Baltimore, MD) are donating portions of the proceeds from sales of their antiracist reading lists to Black Lives Matter, Reclaim the Block, and other related organizations.